Friday, September 03, 2010

composting!

This spring I started up our compost in Waterloo. There was already a great spot started from the previous owner so it was a snap.  I moved some of the black dirt to our flower beds in June and everything took off. In July I noticed some funny things were growing around our bird feeder and to let them be see what I got.  I found several sunflowers that the squirrels promptly ran off with when they got big and beautiful and rich with seeds. I also noticed some cantaloupe growing.  I think it is about time to finally pick our cantaloupe.  It is starting to take over our yard!!!

We also lost a tree in our front yard during a vicious storm in early July.  Last weekend, Jeremy and I picked out two trees to put in the front yard. They will be delivered today. One is an Autumn Blaze Maple. It will turn the brightest red. The second tree we decided upon was a Honey Crisp Apple tree. It won't have apples for about 5 years but that's ok- I figure I might be done with my PhD that year and have time to pick it then!!!

No comments: